Read “12 Really Cool New Police Products”, POLICE Magazine
XCAT Narcotics, Gunshot Residue and Explosives Detection System
The XCAT handheld detection system features one-step detection of narcotics, explosives, and gunshot residue.
The XCAT is verified for use in a Presumptive Drug Field Testing Program, and is Tested and Approved as a presumptive narcotics field test kit by the Commonwealth of Virginia, Department of Forensic Science.
Watch the XCAT Product Demonstration here
Made in America
- Narcotics, Explosives, and GSR detection in a single platform
- Red-Light/Green-Light result
- No interpretation, no color charts, no spraying, no chemical exposure
- Rugged for field use
- Detection library expandable
- Rechargeable Li-ion battery
- Fielded since March 2013
- Less than 1 lb.
- Red light/Green light – no color charts
- No user exposure to chemicals or broken glass ampoules
- Internal Li Ion battery – battery life 10 hours
- One year warranty
- Upgradeable in the field – at no additional cost, with micro-SD
- Provides a technological solution which is a significant improvement over chemical colorimetric kits
- Trace detection – detection of residue from spoons, beakers, baggies, pipes, liquid from syringes, pills, powders, rocks
- Amphetamines, Cocaine, Heroin, Fentanyl
- Tested and Validated by NFSTC and VA Dept. of Forensic Science as a presumptive narcotics field test kit
- Operational cost same as chemical test kits
- Sampling card shelf life: 2 years
Gunshot Residue Detection
- Field presumptive test for Lead – based on Rhodizonate test
- Sensitivity – 1 to 4 shots
- Sample collection optimized – adhesive and paper section
- Unlike other GSR field test kits, XCAT does not alter sample
- XCAT GSR card can be sent to crime lab for GSR Confirmatory on SEM, a capability that never existed before
- Sampling card shelf life: 2 years, cost less than a SEM kit
Trace Explosives Detection
- Particulate detection from hands, surfaces, mail, bags, luggage, vehicles
- Detects Nitramines, Nitroaromatics, Nitrates and Peroxides
- Rugged, easy to use, affordable
- Clear unattended bags
- Force protection application
- Target hardening – make terrorists go somewhere else
- Sampling card shelf life: 2 years
XCAT Introduction Video.
Watch the video below to see the short XCAT Introduction.
To see the XCAT Product Demonstration, including the overview, basic operation, technology, specifications, and sampling, click here.
XCAT Applications / Customers.
• Law enforcement • Criminal investigation • Museums • IT companies • Universities • Oil refineries • Banks • Airports • Military • Correctional facilities • Arenas • Coroners • Fire departments • Border control • Special events screening • Federal agencies (FBI, CIA, DOI, DEA, DOS) • Home & Business (parental, insurance) • Forensics experts
What our customers have to say about the XCAT’s impact on their line of work.
“The XCAT has become a good piece of equipment to help us check things farther away from the terminal because it’s so portable, and we’ll use it if the K-9s aren’t available. We like the ease of use and quick results.
Everybody understood the concept. I mean it only works one way; the sampling card only goes in one way. We call it cop-proof. If a cop couldn’t break it and could figure it out, it was going to work for us.
Around here we like to get these things resolved quickly because of the trickle-down effect with the airlines. Should we have to close a gate to check an unattended bag, we can show up with the XCAT, swab it, put the sample card into the unit, and have a result back in under one minute. And that really speeds things up for us.”
Indianapolis Airport Police Department
“… I have personally used this kit (XCAT) in teaching shooting reconstruction in a dozen courses across the country as well as tested it within my own laboratory, and could not be more pleased with the results. …Any agency that is tasked with investigating shooting cases should have this weapon in their arsenal of solving shooting scenario cases…Try the XCAT and see how you develop more investigative leads and save personnel time by using this powerful weapon in real time to guide your investigation.”
Forensic Pieces, Inc.
Click on the icons below
“Recently we had a homicide and we had 3 suspects in custody. XCAT tested positive on two which helped the bad guys talk and kick in to it. A better story we had a neighborhood shooting where 2 males were taken into custody after being seen running after the shots were fired. the detectives spoke with the males who claimed they didn’t see anything and were not involved. The detectives believed them and were ready to release them. I then used XCAT and received a positive hit on one of the males. The detectives then went back at him and he confessed to holding the gun at one point. This is a great tool.”
“I ordered some of these units (XCATs) and as with any new technology there was some skepticism. However, we conducted controlled field test using explosives, GSR and several different forms of narcotics. Our test were nothing short of rigorous, testing several known positives and known negatives. All test results were accurate. We’ve since implemented the use of the XCATs with much success. I highly recommend these units to investigative teams who are in search of a presumptive testing system that is very user friendly, durable and most importantly accurate! ”
“I had my first positive result on a suspect of an attempted homicide in a neighboring city. The sample was collected from his sweatshirt sleeve as we believed he was wearing gloves at the time of the shooting. Knowing that I will have to testify in this case, I took my XCat to the range and did a number of positive/negative field tests. The unit worked flawlessly, including detecting transfer GSR on the inside of a clean sweatshirt pocket. I’m a believer!”
“The XCAT is one of the most valuable tools we’ve recently received. We had the demo sent to us and tested it in the lab. After seeing the results we started using it in the field. Within days we had used it on several cases and got great results. This is such a great investigative tool! We are so pleased that there is finally a reliable presumptive GSR that can also be retained and later tested on a SEM for confirmation. We didn’t want to send the demo back until we had our own in the lab! The folks at RedXDefense were fantastic and worked hard with us to help us justify and ultimately purchase the system. Thanks again RedXDefense!”
“We are a very small agency in Indiana. We use our XCAT primarily to detect METH. We have nothing but good things to say about the system. With the red light/green light function, the XCAT is a step up in field testing. Our prosecutor also likes the system.”
“We’ve had people say they didn’t fire a shot or they didn’t fire it at the person or something, and when they see that light turn red right in front of them, they change their story. The XCAT has directly lead to several arrests”
“I would recommend all airports get an XCAT. It is an effective, yet inexpensive tool for you to use to clear unattended bags without having to ask TSA.”
“Simple, fast and reliable, just what every street cop or CSI needs in the field.”
“The device (XCAT) is streamlined and cost-effective.”
“We have solved 2 drive by shootings using the XCAT to swab the outside of the vehicle and we have used it several times to swab individuals.”
Watch our YouTube instruction videos explaining the XCAT’s operational procedures. Click on tabs below to select videos.
- Detection PrincipleOptical Detection
- Time to AnalyzeNarcotics: 40-120 sec. GSR/Explosives: 15-180 sec.
- CalibrationNone required
- Power-up Time30 seconds
- ConsumablesSampling Cards
- Power SourceRechargeable Li-ion battery (car and wall charger)
- Battery Life10 hours (continuous use)
- Operating Temperature Range32°F to 120°F (0°C to 49°C)
- Dimensions3.6”x 1.7”x 6.0” (Length x Width x Height)
- WeightUnder 1 lb.
Sampling Cards & Capabilities
The XCAT is intended for presumptive testing. Sampling cards are dedicated to detecting either individual analytes or groups of related analytes.
Nitramines & Nitrates
US Patent No 9,435,744
The XCAT uses detection cards with specially formulated optical detection inks and software to identify characteristics unique to each individual or group of chemically related analytes.
Each analyte or group of analytes is detected with a dedicated card.
The unit uniquely identifies and analyzes each card (eg. Cocaine or GSR) and returns a red or green light signal to the user simply indicating “detection” or “no detection”.
The XCAT is CE certified:
|IP52 rated for water and dust ingress|
|Passes MIL-STD-810G testing for:|
– Salt Fog
– Low temperature storage (-20C)
– Temperature shock (-20C to 60C)
– Vibration (1 hour truck bed simulator)
– Transit drop (26 drops from 4 feet)
|1000X life cycle testing completed without any failures|
|Detection performance validated across full operating temperature range|
Note: The XCAT is intended for presumptive purposes only and should not be used for evidential purposes. As with any presumptive test, there is the potential for false positives and false negatives, therefore results should be verified by a qualified laboratory. See XCAT operating guide for proper use instructions.
XCAT Product Demonstration.
Watch the video below to see the XCAT Product Demonstration, including the overview, basic operation, technology, specifications, and sampling.